WaKeeney became the largest city of Trego County and the county seat in March 1880. The site for WaKeeney was selected in 1879 by A.E. Warren and J.F. Keeney, and their Chicago Land Company. The early history of WaKeeney is bursting with many tales of adventures of Indians, cowboys, and home seekers, but Keeney and Warren planned for the town to be first class.
Hotels, drug stores, general stores, lumberyards, and banks, were just a few of the businesses that were established in the town. A first-rate train depot was built along with a beautiful Opera House.
WaKeeney early years had no manufacturing establishments to assist in its growth, but its development came from the prosperity of the farmers who have settled in the county.
Listed below are the latest demographics from the 2010 census for Wakeeney, KS: